So here it is.
I only broke the site a few times uploading my new style, and it seems to all be working now. It started off quite rough...
...but most things were there. I just wanted a design with simple colours, a single navigation area, and a few little shiny bits.
With the top bar gone, it made sense to have the breadcrumb bit vertical. The small logo fitted better, and I changed the top-level site name to "Robert Marshall" from "rdmsoft".
There's nothing particularly wrong with rounded corners, but they're a bit overused, so I decided to chamfer mine. I couldn't take the lazy option of using a
-mozproperty this time, so I used images, which gives cross-browser workingness and anti-aliasing for free.
I made it so any page can declare a bit of content to appear in a box under the menu, the main benefit being I don't have to scroll past it all when I'm on a small screen.
What's a redesign without a couple of pointless transparency effects? Hovered links fade out a bit, and you can just see the top corner of the content area behind the menu.
I've done too many off-white stylesheets. Plain ol' #000 and #FFF on this one, at least until it starts hurting my eyes. Which I hope it won't.
And what's a redesign blog post without commenting on other browsers? I use Firefox, but I wasn't going to put anything up without testing it in at least IE and Opera, and it turns out it was actually useful to do so.
I only had one problem with Opera - I had hidden the old → signs with "
font-size: 0;", which was a bad idea. Opera seems to set a minimum font size by default, which is a reasonable thing to do (and can be done in Gecko with a pref), so I changed it to "
display: none;" and everything was fine.
I wouldn't normally test Safari, though I saw iCapture and thought I might as well throw a link in there. Everything seemed fine.
I didn't hit any major problems with IE, though I don't know if that's despite its reputation or because of it. It seems that IE6's age means people are really familiar with its flaws, so it's easier to make a design that doesn't trigger them in the first place, or at least fix them when you do.
It's not a bug, it's (the lack of) a feature.
CSS3 opacity, min-height, 24-bit PNG transparency, generated content. Slightly annoying, but nothing major. Only the latter caused real problems - my corner/margin stuff was based on the assumption that the images would always load and push the text down. I fixed it for IE, which also fixed it for Gecko with images disabled. Everybody wins. ;)
Okay, so it is a bug.
I did trigger the Peekaboo bug with my twisty maze of floats, though it's worked around with an easy hack, and it's one of the things fixed in IE7.
Stuff to fix
- Text isn't always aligned like I want it in IE. Might be a bug, though it's unlikely.
- I'm still not sure exactly what I want in the boxes on the home page.
- Feeds page is understyled, needs some spacing to make it easier to read.
- Some of the markup is still pretty ugly from supporting different styles in the past. The CSS is pretty clean now, the HTML should match.
- Opera's minimum font size seems to be causing problems with the tag clouds.
That's enough typing for now, I've got some football to pretend to be interested in...
it looks really good :) well done / Comment from Smiddy on 01 Jul 2006 at 18:17.
Yum Yum / Comment from Gill on 01 Jul 2006 at 22:08.
mm. nice / Comment from Anon on 08 Jul 2006 at 20:22.
Pure black background = not good, not good at all :| / Comment from Emb on 10 Jul 2006 at 09:47.
Feedback is closed. Feel free to contact me privately.